Hello Brothers, Alumni, and friends of SigEp,
Welcome, my name is Mitchell Schellenger and I am the current president of the California Alpha chapter of Sigma Phi Epsilon. During my first three semesters at Cal, I didn’t see the benefits of being in a fraternity, and didn’t rush until the spring semester of my sophomore year. My only regret now is that I didn’t rush sooner. In SigEp, I found my second home. I met men of character – gentlemen, scholars, leaders, and athletes. Our brothers are involved throughout Berkeley in student organizations such as the campus ambassador program, the ASUC, Cal Triathlon, and UC Jazz. Every year, we host our philanthropy, Pedal for Life, where last year we raised over $5000 for the Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation. Personally, the fraternity has supported my individual growth, academics, and fitness through the Balanced Man Program, and I’ve made friends and connections that will last a lifetime.
Our chapter currently stands at 60 active brothers, 18 of whom joined last fall. I encourage anyone who is interested in rushing to come out to our rush events starting January 20th. We hope to see you there.
Sigma Phi Epsilon was founded in 1901 on the campus of Richmond College (now called the University of Richmond) in Richmond, Va. The story of its founding by 12 determined men set the stage for the growth and success of one of the country’s premier fraternal organizations. The history of the Fraternity reflects the times, through great wars and profound cultural shifts. Throughout the decades, the men of Sigma Phi Epsilon have practiced their values and embraced the stated desire of the Founders, “This Fraternity will be different.”
This fraternity will be different.
SigEp was founded with the Cardinal Principles of Virtue, Diligence and Brotherly Love. Our mission is “Building Balanced Men,” which is achieved through a commitment to Sound Mind and Sound Body.
As gentlemen of SigEp, we believe in continuously giving back to our community.
One of our most renowned annual philanthropic events is Pedal For Life, which is a 500-mile philanthropic bike ride from Berkeley’s Sather Gate to the Santa Monica Pier. Brothers embark on this journey to raise money and awareness for an annually selected charity/cause of choice. Our past two rides supported the non-profit Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America and raised over $15,000.
For more information, visit our PFL page: berkeleysigep.com/pfl/
We enjoy several brotherhood social events throughout the year. Just a few of our annual events include:
- Weekend Retreats (past locations have included Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, and Dillon Beach)
- Various Leadership Programs (Including a week long journey to Greece)
- Intramural Sports Teams
- Football Tailgates
- Semesterly Date Nights (Including our classic Yacht Date Night in the Spring)
- SigEp was founded on November 1, 1901, at Richmond College.
- With over 315,000 lifetime members SigEp ranks among the largest national fraternities.
- SigEp Cal Alpha Chapter is consistently ranked amongst the top 3 in campus wide GPA.
- We won our Fraternity’s National Excelsior Cup Award for Recruitment last year!
- Brothers’ current and past involvements include ASUC, ROTC, Campus Ambassadors, Cal Men’s Squash, Cal Cycling, Berkeley Model United Nations, Acapella Group, Triathlon, Cal Ultimate, Rally Committee, The Daily Cal, Cal Performances, Professional Fraternities, DeCal Facilitators, Peer Advisors, and more.
Theodore Geisel a.k.a. Dr. Seuss
Douglas Engelbart - Inventor of the computer mouse
Terry Lundgren - CEO/Chairman/President, Macy’s Corporation
Kenneth Derr - Chairman, Chevron Oil
Steve Hofstetter - Comedian, Executive Producer/Host of Fox’s “Laughs”
Harold Poling - CEO, Ford Motor Company
Kenneth Arrow - Nobel Laureate, Economics
Robert Stempel - CEO, General Motors
Ronald Brown - U.S Secretary of Commerce
Fred Turner - Chairman, McDonald’s Corporation